Design and Technology
Mrs Gemma Elders is the Design and Technology subject leader
An inspiring, relevant and practical subject, Design and Technology encourages children to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems both as individuals and collaboratively. High-quality Design and Technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation. At Cookridge Holy Trinity, we encourage children to use their creativity and imagination, to design and make purposeful products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. We aim to, wherever possible, link work to other areas of the curriculum particularly science, computing and art. Children are given opportunities to reflect upon and evaluate past and present design technology, its uses and effectiveness. Concentrating on local and global themes from EYFS to Year 6, we aim to provide children with an exciting, relevant and challenging curriculum with a variety of enrichment opportunities. The knowledge and skills based curriculum offered encourages them to become innovators and risk-takers.
The Aims of our Design and Technology Curriculum
In Design and Technology, our children will have the opportunity to:
- Master practical skills
This concept involves developing the skills needed to make high quality products in Construction, Textiles, Mechanical and Electrical systems, Computing and Cooking.
- Design, make, evaluate and improve
This concept involves developing the process of design thinking and seeing design as a process.
- Take inspiration from design throughout history
This concept involves appreciating the design process that has influenced the products we use in everyday life.
Cooking and Nutrition
Our aim is for every child at Cookridge Holy Trinity Primary to have the opportunity to cook at least once every term and for children to share their culinary delights with their family at home. Once the children have cooked at school they will bring home a copy of the recipe and we encourage parents to try cooking with your children at home.
It is hoped that through cooking regularly at school, children will learn an essential life skill and become competent cooks, knowing how to prepare and handle food safely. The children will also learn the importance of eating a balanced healthy diet and the origins of their food.
Where possible, we try to link in our cooking lessons to other areas of the curriculum- for example Year 4 learn about Italy so the children have the opportunity to make Pizza. English is incorporated into lessons- Children write their own recipes and evaluate them against an instructions checklist. Maths is incorporated through weighing and measuring and ratio and proportion. PSHE is also an important aspect of our lessons. Children learn to work together as a team, take turns and eat sociably together. They learn about where food comes from and the importance of a balanced diet.
Rationale and Policy
Long term plan and Skills progression
Some website links
Design and Technology Photos
- May 2022 – 4W sewing Roman purses
- May 2022 – 4L sewing Roman purses
- May 2022 – 1A start their wind up toys
- April 2022 – 6M Mountain Learning Logs and Dragon Eggs
- March 2022 – 5E – Forces: Gears, Pulleys and Levers
- March 2022 – 5H Making Catapults
- March 2022 – 2S Making animal puppets
- March 2022 – Year 1 bake British scones
- March 2022 – 3R making a moving rainforest animal
- March 2022 – 5H Making Moon Rock Cakes
- March 2022 – 5E Moon Rocks
- March 2022 – Reception Baking Gingerbread Men
- February 2022 – 3R making a Stone Age fruit stew
- February 2022 – 1A make the Emerald City
- February 2022 – Year 4 D.T. Designing and making pizza
- January 2022 – 1A create Emerald City buiildings
- January 2022 – 2S Making carrot cake
- January 2022 – 2J make gluten free carrot cake – yummy!!
- December 2021 – 2S Moving santas
- December 2021 – 2J creating a moving toy using levers in DT
- December 2021 – 3R making compasses
- December 2021 – 2J make moving toy Santas DT
- December 2021 – 2J make Thaumatropes – DT
- December 2021 – 5H Baking Christmas Biscuits
- November 2021 – 3P Compass making
- November 2021 – 2S Baking bread
- October 2021 – 4L Playing their Electrical Boardgames
- October 2021 – 3R making a peach cheesecake!