Design and Technology
At Cookridge Holy Trinity we believe that Design and Technology helps to prepare children for the developing world. The subject encourages children to become creative problem-solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team. Through the study of design and technology they combine practical skills with an understanding of aesthetic, social and environmental issues. Design and Technology helps all children to become discriminating and informed consumers and potential innovators. It should assist children in developing a greater awareness and understanding of how everyday products are designed and made
The aims of Design and Technology in our school are:
- To develop children’ designing and making skills and to foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making.
- To develop children’s creativity and innovation through designing and making,
- To enable children to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making.
- To enable children to talk about how things work, and to draw and model their ideas.
- To encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques for making a product, whilst following safe procedures.
- To use ICT software to assist our designing and learning
- To develop children’s understanding of the ways in which people have designed products in the past and present to meet their needs, gaining an understanding of technological processes, their management and contribution to society.
The DT Subject leader for 2017/2018 is Mrs Elders
Cooking and Nutrition
This academic year (2017-2018) the main DT focus is to raise the profile of ‘Cooking and Nutrition’ in our school. Our aim is for every child at Cookridge Holy Trinity Primary to have the opportunity to cook at least once every term and for children to share their culinary delights with their family at home. Once the children have cooked at school they will bring home a copy of the recipe and we encourage parents to try cooking with your children at home.
It is hoped that through cooking regularly at school, children will learn an essential life skill and become competent cooks, knowing how to prepare and handle food safely. The children will also learn the importance of eating a balanced healthy diet and the origins of their food.
Where possible, we try to link in our cooking lessons to other areas of the curriculum- for example Year 4 learn about Italy so the children have the opportunity to make Italian bread. English is incorporated into lessons- Children write their own recipes and evaluate them against an instructions checklist. Maths is incorporated through weighing and measuring and ratio and proportion. PSHCE is also an important aspect of our lessons. Children learn to work together as a team, take turns and eat sociably together. They learn about where food comes from and the importance of a balanced diet.
Please see the attached PowerPoint for further information about ‘Cooking in the Curriculum.’
If Cooking or Nutrition is an area of your expertise, we would love to hear from you as we are planning a ‘Healthy Eating’ Week for the summer term. Please contact Mrs Elders (Reception Teacher) or your child’s class teacher.
Some Website links
Design and Technology Photos
- June 2018 – Year 4 making Egyptian Bread
- May 2018 – 1J Wind up Jack and the Beanstalk toys
- May 2018 – 1A cook bean wraps
- May 2018 – 1J Cooking bean wraps
- March 2018 – 1A bake scones.
- February 2018 – 5C design and make sundials
- February 2018 – 1A’s Emerald City
- January 2018 – 2S making Mrs Rabbit’s carrot cake
- January 2018 – 2L making Mrs Rabbit’s carrot cake
- January 2018 – 1J Materials Speed Circle
- January 2018 – Year One Materials Chalk Talk
- December – 6C finished WWII Planes
- December 2017 – 6M DT Project Final
- November 2017 – 1J Making Hedgehogs
- November 2017 – 1J Making Smoothies
- November 2017 – 6M DT Planes Project Part 3
- November 2017 – 6C DT WWII planes stage 3
- November 2017 – 6M DT Morning part 2
- November 2017 – 5C investigate irreversible changes by baking biscuits.
- November 2017 – 6C DT Day Part 2 – Constructing WWII Planes Step 1
- November 2017 – 6M DT Morning 1 – Constructing WWII Planes Step 1
- November 2017 – 6C DT Morning 1 – Constructing WWII Planes Step 1
- October 2017 – Year 2 Baking Bread