At Cookridge Holy Trinity Primary School, as an inclusive school, we aim to achieve the highest standards of Mathematics capable for all our pupils. We aim for pupils to leave Holy Trinity being aware that Mathematics is an integral part of everyday life. A high quality mathematics education provides a foundation for understanding the world, gives children the ability to reason mathematically and creates a sense of curiosity.
Mathematics also provides us with tools to;
- Tackle real life problems
- Communicate information
- Develop skills which are essential in other areas of the curriculum
- A lot of enjoyment can be obtained from appreciating the power of mathematics
Aims for Mathematics
Holy Trinity are continually aiming to raise the standards of achievement in Mathematics of our pupils.
Our Mathematics curriculum aims to:
- provide a positive attitude to Mathematics by making it interesting, purposeful and enjoyable.
- develop an awareness of the relevance of Mathematics in the real world.
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of problems, including breaking down problems into simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions
- pupils should make rich connections across mathematical ideas to develop fluency, mathematical reasoning and competence in solving increasingly sophisticated problems.
- develop, use and understand the language of Mathematics at their own level and be confident when articulating Mathematical concepts.
- be able to record their work in a clear and accurate where the presentation is a high standard and something they are proud of.
- develop the ability to think logically, reasonably and creatively in Mathematics.
- perform calculations mentally, using appropriate strategies.
- carry out written methods in-line with the school’s Calculation Policy.
- develop the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- provide opportunities to use a variety of equipment to stimulate and develop mathematical learning situations.
- achieve a sense of satisfaction through success.
- allow children to have fun!
Long Term Plans
Upcoming Maths at Holy Trinity…
There are many websites that can support home learning and help your child to practice the skills they are developing in school. Below is a list of websites that will help your child at home in an exciting and engaging way:
www.topmarks.co.uk – choose your age and topic and have fun playing a range of different maths games.
www.mathsplayground.com – there’s a wide range of simple yet engaging maths games to play.
www.mathszone.co.uk – there are lots of different activities on this website, just pick your topic and off you go!
www.multiplication.com – a fantastic website to help you with your times tables.
www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/maths/ – this website covers all areas of maths and has a step by step explanation for your child to help them use the correct methods.
Maths around school
- January 2020 – Reception Maths
- December 2019 – 3W Maths – working together so solve multiplication problems
- November 2019 – 6M Maths Examples
- November 2019 – 1CR Maths
- September 2019 – 2J Number matching
- September 2019 – 4H writing Roman Numerals in chalk
Pupil perceptions of maths